How to Fix the Yellow Light of Death on a PS4 Controller
If you own a PS4, then you likely know how frustrating it can be when the controller won’t connect to your console. This issue is commonly known as the “yellow light of death” (or YLOD for short) and it can happen to any controller.
In this post, we’ll walk you through some simple troubleshooting tips that will help get your broken PS4 controller up and running again in no time. In most cases, these steps should resolve any connectivity issues that you’re experiencing with your PS4 controller.
Check Your PS4 Controller’s Battery
The first thing to check is the battery on your PS4 controller. This is especially true if you’re using a controller that’s several years old. As controllers get older, their battery life tends to decrease. If the battery on your controller is almost dead, the controller might not work at all.
Fortunately, you can easily check the battery level on your controller by following these steps: If the battery is low, simply plug it in via the micro-USB cable that came with the controller. Most controllers don’t include a charging dock; so you’ll just want to plug it into your computer or any other USB wall charger.
Restart the PS4 and PS4Controller
The next thing to try is to restart both the controller and the PS4.
To do this,
- First, turn off the PS4.
- Next, unplug the controller from the PS4. If the controller has a low battery, plug it in first, then turn the PS4 back on.
- Once the PS4 is fully booted up again, plug the controller back into the console.
- Once everything is booted up again, you can try to pair the controller with the PS4 again.
If this doesn’t resolve the issue, then you can move on to the next troubleshooting tip.
Reset to Factory Settings
If the controller still won’t connect after restarting both the PS4 and the controller, then you might have to reset it to factory settings.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Unlink your PlayStation Network account:
- Turn on your PS4 and go to the main screen.
- Go to Settings > PlayStation Network/Account Management. If prompted, enter your login ID (email address) and password.
- Next, select Activate as your primary PS4 option and make sure your account is currently activated. Select the option once more and choose Disable.
- Then select OK to complete.
- To Factory reset your PS4
Once you have unlinked your PSN account, you can now proceed to factory reset your PS4. Here are the steps to do it:
- Go to Settings > Initialization.
- Select Initialize PS4. Here, there are 2 options:
- Quick: All data will be wiped temporarily, so use specialized data recovery tools to ensure that all information is permanently deleted.
- Full: Choosing this option will securely wipe data and take hours to complete. Data cannot be recovered quite easily when you select this option.
Once you have selected one of the options, choose Initialize and select Yes to start the factory reset process.
A factory reset is also recommended when you have corrupted data on Hulu for PS4.
Check For Updates
If you’ve tried everything above, then you might have a hardware problem with the controller. In this case, the best thing to do is to see if there are any updates for your controller.
To do this, follow these steps: If there is a new update, then you can try to update your controller before trying to pair it with the PS4 again. If this doesn’t work, then you can move on to the next troubleshooting tip.
Try a Different USB Port
If the controller still isn’t pairing with the PS4, then the issue might be due to a bad USB port. In this case, you want to try plugging the controller into a different USB port.
You can also try plugging the PS4 into a different wall outlet. If this doesn’t work, then you can move on to the next troubleshooting tip.
Using a Dedicated Charging Station
If the controller still isn’t pairing after trying all of the above, then you might have a faulty controller or a faulty USB port. In this case, it’s best to replace the controller altogether.
To do this, you can either buy a new controller or try using a dedicated charging station to charge your PS4 controller.
A charging station will allow you to charge your PS4 without having to plug it into a wall outlet. This can be useful if you don’t have easy access to an outlet.
You can use a charging station to charge one PS4 controller at a time. This means that if you have multiple controllers that are broken, you’ll need to charge them one at a time.
The YLOD can be a frustrating issue, but the good news is that it’s usually easy to fix. Simply try out the tips above and you should be able to get your PS4 controller working again in no time at all.
If you’ve tried all of the above tips and your controller is still not working, then you might have a faulty controller. In this case, it’s best to replace the controller with a new one.
If you have a broken PS4 controller, then it can be easy to forget about it. After all, you can’t exactly play games with a broken controller. When your controller is broken, it’s important to remember that it’s not just about playing games.
The PS4 is an entertainment system that allows you to do a lot more, such as watching movies and streaming content. As long as you have a PS4, it’s important to make sure that you have a working controller.